Today, took notes on fables:
What is a fable?
A fable is a short unreal story, written in prose or verse, that has animals, legendary creatures, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature that are given human qualities, such as the ability to speak and that illustrates or leads to a particular moral or lesson, which may be added at the end of the story.
Characteristics of a fable:
- Fables are imaginary and fun stories.
- Fables are written for a purpose to teach a specific lesson or moral.
- A moral is a good lesson that is learned and is usually found at the end of a story.
- A long time ago, people used fables to help them solve their problems.
Main characters of fables:
- Many fables have animal characters that act like humans.
- Some fables have humans that are second characters or villains in the story. A villain is a bad character.
Action of a fable:
- What will your characters be doing?
- What is the problem?
- What is your conflict?
- How will your conflict be solved?
Example of a fable:
The Tortoise and the Hare
There once was a speedy hare who bragged about how fast he could run. Tired of hearing him boast, Slow and Steady, the tortoise, challenged him to a race. All the animals in the forest gathered to watch.
Hare ran down the road for a while and then and paused to rest. He looked back at Slow and Steady and cried out, “How do you expect to win this race when you are walking along at your slow, slow pace?”
Hare stretched himself out alongside the road and fell asleep, thinking, “There is plenty of time to relax.”
Slow and Steady walked and walked. He never, ever stopped until he came to the finish line.
The animals who were watching cheered so loudly for Tortoise, they woke up Hare.
Hare stretched and yawned and began to run again, but it was too late. Tortoise was over the line.
After that, Hare always reminded himself, “Don’t brag about your lightning pace, for Slow and Steady won the race!”
Morals of the story:
- Little by little does the job.
- You can’t play all of the time.
- Slow and steady wins the race.